Want to propose an idea or organize an event for the I-House community? I-House has funding available to directly fund ideas initiated by residents. We require at least 2-3 weeks for planning and outreach, so submit your proposal early in the semester for consideration. Recieve help with event coordination and funding support to implement your idea.
LAST DAY TO SUBMIT PROGRAM PROPOSALS FOR THE SEMESTER IS SUNDAY, MARCH 31, 2019, 11:59 PM.
Past examples of resident-initiated events have included:
- Chinese calligraphy classes, paint night, self-defense workshops at I-House
- Tickets to musicals, concerts, and dance performances in San Francisco, Oakland, and Berkeley
- Tickets to professional baseball and basketball games
- Day trips to the beach, hiking in Marin County, and San Francisco
- Museum visits to Night Life at the Academy of Sciences and the Exploratorium
- Open mic night, ballroom dancing, movie night, cheese tasting, pop-up art shows at I-House
In order to successfully organize and publicize an event, you must submit your proposal at least 2-3 weeks in advance. More complex events (involving transportation, reservations, tickets, etc.) may require more lead time. Please note that the execution and scheduling of Community Building Events are dependent on the existing program schedule and staffing capacity.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What’s the budget? It depends, but think about the cost per person. We prioritize events that will include more residents for a lower cost. A few prices to give you an idea:
- Bus rental for 55 people (round trip): $1000
- Tickets to a professional sporting event or concert: $50-140 per person
- Entrance to a museum/local tourist attraction: $15-50 per person
- Workshop fee for guest instructor: $300-1000
What do I have to do as the lead resident? Come up with an idea that would be interesting to residents, fill out a proposal, and wait for approval. Depending on the complexity of your event, we may ask you to do more organizing and planning. If it’s a simpler event like going to a concert, show, or museum, you are responsible for promoting the event and getting residents to register.
What’s the price for residents? It depends. All tickets and trips are subsidized for I-House residents. Usually around 50% of the price is subsidized.
Can I reserve spaces for my friends? The tickets will go up on Eventbrite like any other event offered at I-House. There will be a spot reserved for you, but you can’t reserve spaces for your friends. You can encourage them to sign up and give them the registration link.
What happens after I submit a proposal? We will review your proposal and get in touch to get more details or talk about next steps.
Can we go skydiving/motorcycle racing/bungee jumping? No, our insurance doesn’t cover extreme sports or very risky activities.
Can we get funding to rent cars or stay overnight somewhere (Yosemite, LA, Vegas etc)? No, our insurance doesn’t cover that, you can request a bus for a day trip. Trips to Yosemite, Las Vegas, LA, and Napa are available through USA Student Tour (use code IHB for a small discount for I-House residents).
I have more questions about submitting a proposal, who can I talk to? Stop by the Program Office or email firstname.lastname@example.org