International House at UC Berkeley
Get Involved. Make the Most of I-House.
The I-House Program Office is here to create opportunities for residents to foster intercultural friendships and have fun through signature I-House events, community-building programs, trips and activities.
We accomplish this by working in collaboration with I-House residents, Resident Council, the Robertson Center for Intercultural Leadership, Resident Services and the greater UC Berkeley Community. We hope you'll join us!
Want to propose an idea or organize an event for the I-House community this summer? There is funding available for residents to work with the Program Office to do just that! We require at least 2-3 weeks for planning and outreash, so submit early in the semester for consideration. Recieve help with event coordination and funding support to implement your idea.
LAST DAY TO SUBMIT PROGRAM PROPOSALS FOR THE SUMMER SEMESTER IS Monday, JULY 22, 2019.
Past examples of resident-initiated events have included:
- Chinese calligraphy classes, paint night, self-defense workshops at I-House
- Tickets to musicals, concerts, and dance performances in San Francisco, Oakland, and Berkeley
- Tickets to professional baseball and basketball games
- Day trips to Alcatraz, the beach, Napa Valley, hiking in Marin County
- Museum visits to Night Life at the Academy of Sciences and the Exploratorium
- Open mic night, ballroom dancing, movie night, cheese tasting, pop-up art show at I-House
In order to successfully organize and publicize an event, you must submit your proposal at least three weeks in advance. More complex events (involving transportation off-site, reservations, etc.) require at least three residents as part of the organizing team and may require more lead time. Please note that the execution and scheduling of Community Buldling Events are dependent on the existing program schedule and staffing capacity.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What’s the budget? It depends… but ask for what you want and then Council and the Program Office will let you know what’s doable. The Program Office regularly organizes trips that cost over $1000. A few prices to give you an idea:
- Bus rental for 55 people Round Trip: ~$1000
- Tickets to professional baseball/basketball game: $80-140 per person
- Entrance to a museum/local tourist attraction: $15-50 per person
- Space rental (for party, gathering, etc): $1000-4000
- Workshop fee for guest instructor: $300-1000
- What do I have to do as the lead resident? Come up with an idea that would be interesting to residents, fill out a proposal, and meet with the Program Office to discuss logistics. Depending on the complexity of your event, we may ask you to do more organizing and planning. If it’s a simple event like going to a concert, show, or museum, you are mostly just coming up with the idea and helping promote to your friends and on Facebook.
- What’s the price for residents? It depends. All tickets and trips are subsidized for I-House residents. Usually the Program Office or Resident Council covers around 50% of the price.
- Can I reserve spaces for my friends? The tickets will go up on Eventbrite like any other event run by the Program Office. There will be a spot reserved for you, but you can’t reserve spaces for your friends. You can encourage them to sign up and give them the registration link.
- What happens after I submit a proposal? The Program Office will review your proposal and get in touch to get more details or clarification. Once it’s ready, we will pass it on to Council for their approval for funding.
- Can we go skydiving/motorcycle racing/bungee jumping? No, sorry our insurance doesn’t cover extreme sports or very risky activities.
- Can we get funding to rent cars or stay overnight somewhere (Yosemite, LA, Vegas etc)? No, sorry our insurance doesn’t cover that. You can request a bus for a day trip.
- I have more questions about submitting a proposal, who can I talk to? You can stop by the Program Office and ask to speak with Jenny or send an email to email@example.com.